Sunday, June 27, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Here we are. From BBQ to Broadway, the four of us, in a 1,250 square foot apartment in the middle of Manhattan. We wake up each morning to see the Hudson River on one side and Central Park on the other. We lug bags of groceries up the elevator, almost daily. (I'm just thankful we have an elevator-we avoided apartments with the description of "walk-up.") We ride the subway or bus, we occasionally take a taxi (although Emma has declared that all taxis make her feel nauseous) and we walk. Oh, how we walk. We walk so much that if we all haven't lost 10 lbs. by Christmas, there is a definite problem. We eat at tiny little restaurants tucked away between skyscrapers. We spend way too much money on rent. I suppose you could say that we are officially New Yorkers.

I never thought I would start a blog. I love reading other blogs...I've just never felt that anything in my life was exciting enough to post for someone else to read. But this move, this complete change in how we do things, seems to demand a chronicling of sorts. We truly have begun living version 2.0.

So, the question I keep getting is this: What's it really like to LIVE in New York City? The short answer? Surprisingly, not all that different from living anywhere else. Kids learn to ride their bikes here. Teenagers hang out. Moms cook dinner, dads go to work, families LIVE here. They just do it alongside tons of other people.

For some, this is not a good thing. They feel crowded, agitated, intruded upon. For us, however, it is a wonderful thing. Seeing so many ethnicities and walks of life, hearing different languages, watching story after fascinating story walk by on the sidewalk every single day-it's exhilarating. Sure, sometimes you have to be patient crossing the street with a throng of people, or getting on a subway car that's standing room only. I have yet to discover how to store extra paper towels and toilet paper. But I am grateful beyond belief to have the experience of doing life in this wonderful city.

We have chosen to homeschool the girls. As I muddle through methods and schedules and opinions on what the "best way" to do this might be, I am daily coming to the realization that NYC is a living curriculum in itself. For example, one can cover every major subject on a walk through Central Park. Science-you can identify more types of trees and birds than I even knew existed. Geography-finding your way back to the original big rock where you left your belongings is harder than you might think. History-who came up with this most brilliant idea to have an oasis in the middle of the busiest city in the US? Math-find the area of the Great Lawn. PE-finding the area of the Great Lawn will give you plenty of exercise. Spelling-try "Jackie Onassis Reservoir." Literature-stop by and watch "Richard III" at Shakespeare in the Park. See what I mean?

Seriously, I am delighted to have the opportunity to educate my kids at home. The time we have spent together in these two short weeks of our new life has been priceless. I had no idea how scheduled and oversubscribed we had become-there was very little time left for real life to happen. So far, they have gone to a youth group picnic in the park, started an 8 week Shakespeare class, helped to cook several new recipes, walked to Ben and Jerry's with friends, volunteered to help with church VBS, figured out how to put more money on their metrocards, invited friends to swim, and those are just the high points. We've had time for the real stuff, and that is a gift.

The truth is, we could have had this gift long ago, no matter what kind of schooling we chose, no matter where we lived, no matter what our surroundings looked like. We could have said no to the schedule and yes to each other much more often. Hindsight truly is 20/20. For us, it took moving halfway across the country and paring down a bunch of stuff to come to this realization. And for that, I am grateful.



13 comments:

  1. Okay just to be sure...Metrocard is a bus pass?

    I LOVE the blog! Keep it up!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your first post! What exciting time for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Thank you so much for posting this! I loved reading it and I feel exactly what you are saying about having time for "life" to happen. It is SO HARD to do that here in North Texas ... but we are trying! Keep writing, it was great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a Metrocard is a rechargeable "ticket" you use to ride the subway or bus. $2.25 a ride-it can add up fast! :o) Which is why we choose to walk when possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey you! writing just for you, or for others to be kept up to date is great therapy. i'm glad you're doing this. I WANT PICS! and any story about an arkansas/texas girl hitting up NYC is bound to be interesting! we'll schedule our date later on, maybe this evening or tomorrow? what are yall up to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you captured the feelings in your blog. Almost makes me want to move thousands of miles away from home, almost! I am so glad to hear ya'll are doing so well. God has amazing plans for you all. :-)

    Candi Loe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sloan, I am so excited you have started a blog! I love NYC!! I have only been there for 3 short visits, but it's in me for sure! I think it will be cool to see what it's like peeking in to life there.

    Also, I completely get what you mean about paring down to get more. Less stuff, less to-do means more life, more love. We're working on that, here, too, but you're right that it is much harder to choose when you don't have the outside impetus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sloan, I love how you put this in words. Thanks for sharing. Tim started blogging when we moved here as well. He and Lindsey have both been posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You truly painted a picture in my head! Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm SO excited that you're doing this! I think of y'all, up there, all the time; wondering what you're doing and where you are.

    And you're so right about the "paring down." There's nothing quite like a major move to pull you away from your life so you can see it with new perspective. I couldn't be happier for you!

    Hugs sweet friend. I have no idea why my pic isn't showing up, but it's Melinda Garman, just in case you hadn't figured that out by now! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a truth that we all can slow down and see and hear each other. Thanks for sharing. Time to go hug and play with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sloan,

    So excited about this new chapter in your life. God is good and when we are open to new adventures and challenges He is sure to bless. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your description of your new life is beautiful! We too are living in a 1200 square foot apartment but in a small town, what a change for us as well! It is a blessing to be together after a painful separation and to begin really experiencing life again! I love how you are using the living curriculum around you to teach your children new things...I homeschooled for 8 years when we were living in DC and it was just like that...everywhere you went you learned something, and it established in our family a routine of gleaning from every experience we had together! I'm so happy for you and your family and know that Legacy is not the same without you...but what a gain for NYC!!!

    ReplyDelete